The Lillenbergs

The Lillenbergs

Saturday, January 3, 2015

It's A Wonderful Life




We were so blessed to be able to spend Christmas with Chris's family in California.
Quality time with family, yummy food, and gorgeous weather:
what more could you ask for?
Scarlett sure loved getting to run around wild and free!
 
 
I got to hang out with these cute girls while Mama Lil spoiled us with pedicures.
 
 
It was so fun to see all the grandkids together.
The little girls were so cute and sweet with Scarlett,
and in return she was kind of a stinker and would push their faces away :/
We need to get her some more social interaction with kids haha.
 
 
My cute mother-in-law had so many fun activities planned for the little ones,
including gingerbread houses, ornament painting, and decorating sugar cookies.
 
 
Scarlett was a dream the whole time! (haha..not)
I think it was switching her schedule around and not getting as much sleep,
but she was pretty grumpy for a lot of the trip.
 

 
She refused to smile for our Christmas tree picture :)
 

 
But at least we got a few smiles on Christmas morning!
I just loved seeing all of the older grandkids and the magic of Christmas
through their eyes.
I can't wait until Scarlett understands a little more and can get excited about it.
 

 
My husband is seriously talented.
I showed him a picture of a photo prop that I loved and he whipped this up
in a few hours....seriously??
How is he so good at EVERYTHING, it's not fair.
But I can't wait to try it out, I've been racking my brain trying to think of people
who have newborns that I can practice with but I don't know of any right now!
 

 
So....the vacation was great, but unfortunately the trip home was not so awesome.
Things were going smoothly until we reached Cedar City and the roads
started getting veeerry snowy and slick.
Not to mention our wiper fluid wasn't anti freeze and we could hardly see anything
through the mud and frost.
I was driving (booo) and just about ready to switch with Chris because I was starting
to get freaked out about the whole situation.
We were just a few miles from the next town when I made the decision to pass a semi-truck.
Yeah....bad decision.
We'd passed about half the length of the truck when I lost control and the car started sliding all over the place.  There was zero traction and we started swerving back and forth at about 70 mph
and nearly hit the semi like three different times.
I honestly don't know how we didn't hit it.
We were definitely being watched over because I remember it being RIGHT there and thinking
we were going to hit it and go flying or get run over and crushed.  (My mind goes crazy sometimes ha)
But miraculously we didn't hit and I was able to steer it off the road
and we ended up driving into a ditch and sliding to a stop against a huge bush.
Not an ideal situation, but looking back,
it was the best possible outcome for what happened.
No one was hurt at all, and absolutely no damage to the car.
We initially thought we just had a flat tire, but after being towed back into town,
it turned out that the tire had just been pushed off the rim and it was good as new after they pushed it back on.
We were back on the road within 2 hours (with Chris driving of course)
I was pretty shaken up about the whole thing.
 
Waiting for the tow truck to get to us..
 

 
Scarlett was just soooo excited to get out of her car seat.
 

 
There's our poor little car in the background.
(Yes, I'm that lame person that takes selfies after an accident, and yes, Chris did make fun of me relentlessly for it)
 

 
So this experience just really put things into perspective for me and humbled me.
We had a great and busy and fun vacation,
but life and family is soo precious and I was seriously punched in the face with the reality
that those things can be taken away so easily.
I literally thought we were going to be the subject of that heartbreaking news story
you sometimes hear:  family of three traveling home from the holidays, wife was pregnant, etc.
Yes, I know I'm dramatic.
But I'm so grateful for everything that I am blessed with in my life;
for my sweet and patient husband, my spunky and precious baby girl, and most
importantly for Christ, His atonement, and the knowledge I have of the gospel.
That really is what Christmas is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment