The Lillenbergs

The Lillenbergs

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Beckham's Birth (& Picture Overload)

He's here :)
My sweet little boy has finally arrived and we could not be happier.
 
 
5/15/15 started out like any other day.
Chris and I then went to our OB appointment at 2:00 and the doc stripped my
membranes and gave me a 50/50 chance of going into labor.
When I went home, I felt great (as in no contractions) for a couple of hours.
Then, as I was watching Ellen, I noticed some were starting to come
every few minutes.
I didn't think anything of it since I've been contracting like that for weeks
and they still weren't painful.
By about 6:00 they were getting a little bit uncomfortable.
I had my mom paint my nails (just in case: you gotta have a good manicure during labor!)
and then Chris and I decided to go on a walk.
It was during this time that things started to get intense.
It reminded me EXACTLY of how things played out during Scarlett's labor,
so I was starting to think that this could be the real deal.
Once we got back from the walk, I asked Chris to switch Scarlett's
car seat to my parents car in case they would need to babysit
and I went upstairs to pack up a few last minute things and get the bags in the car.
When I came down with all of our stuff in tow, I think Chris
finally realized that I meant business.
I politely asked him to please move the carseat again (he hadn't been in any rush)
and we got things ready to go.
My sister and her whole family had just gotten to the house for a visit,
which was a little awkward because I was breathing and working through contractions.
I said a quick hello and then Chris and I headed to the hospital.
He asked if I wanted to stop and get a bite to eat,
but I quickly shut down that idea.  Things were escalating quickly.
The nurse checked my cervix at 8:45 pm and I was still dilated to a 3,
which is what I was in the doctor's office earlier that afternoon.
I was devastated.  How could I be wrong about this?
I KNEW that this was exactly how I felt with my first labor,
and I'm an L/D nurse, so you would think I would know if I were in true labor.
They told me they would recheck me in an hour,
and in that hour the contractions just got more and more intense and I thought I was going to die.
I wanted my cervix to change, I wanted to be admitted, and most importantly,
I wanted my epidural NOW.
The next time the nurse came in, I was crying with every contraction.
She checked me again and I had changed to a 4.
I was so relieved that that was my ticket to being admitted but she said,
"we might have to wait another hour and see if you change more"
HECK NO!
Come to find out, she was a pretty new nurse.
She went out, talked to her charge nurse, and came right back into the room
saying that they were admitting me.
Yeah, that was more like it ;)
They got me to my room, and very quickly got my IV
and got anesthesia in for my epidural.
I literally felt out of control with my contractions.
I didn't think I could deal with the pain anymore and I thought I was acting ridiculous.
Chris told me later though that I was hardly making any noise and just closed
my eyes, squeezed his hand, and breathed through them.
HA, not how I remember it.
 
This was after I got my epidural...

 
But this is more how I looked the whole time :)
Yuck.
 
 
So anesthesia was super quick in getting my epidural in, for which I was grateful..
but I was still feeling everything on one side.
Exactly what happened with Scarlett :(
My doctor came in to break my water around 10:30 and
I was dilated to a 5.
After that, anesthesia came back, gave me some extra medicine,
and I finally got some relief.
After I was comfy, around 11:15, the nurse checked me again and I was completely dilated!
I couldn't believe it.
I thought there was NO WAY I would deliver on the 15th (I thought it'd be the coolest birthday)
but now I was thinking maybe there was a chance.
We called my mom to get over to the hospital right away,
Chris went down to get the camera, and I was ready to go.
The clock was ticking and the doc still hadn't come in.
By now it was 11:45 and I was freaking out.
I kept saying "we need to get him in here so I can start pushing!  I want to deliver on the 15th!"
He must've sensed my urgency because right then the doc arrived,
the nurses set up the room, and I started to push.
 
Getting ready to push!
 

Here we go!
I literally couldn't feel anything, and didn't know if I was actually pushing.
But the doc said I was doing great.



I pushed for about four contractions and there he was!!


It all happened SO fast.
Little Beckham Christopher Lillenberg was born at 11:53 pm,
weight 7 pounds 13 ounces, and was 19 inches long.


Cutting the cord




We were instantly smitten.





A few hours later I wrote down some thoughts.
May 16th 2015 3:40 am
Dear Beckham,
You're here!  I didn't have time to write down any thoughts before because
you came so fast and now I'm holding you in my arms- I can hardly
believe it!
I wondered how I would feel with a little boy, but it was instant love and tenderness.
I felt an instant bond as we snuggled skin to skin.
I can't believe I get to be your mommy!
I am beyond blessed and I hope I can do a good enough job. 
I am so eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing us with you.
You are beyond perfect.
You have the sweetest little round face, a  decent amount of super dark hair,
and perfectly shaped toes unlike your sister :)
I couldn't be happier at this moment and am so glad you've joined our little family.
We love you, Beckham!








 
Things have been pretty great this past week.
Little Beck is the sweetest baby and has such a special spirit about him.
Scarlett is slowly but surely coming around
to the idea that baby is here to stay.
She's been a little more emotional and needy, but that was to be expected
and we're trying to figure out how to give them both the attention they need.
But overall, we are so happy to have this little boy and
be a family of FOUR!!
 

Special thanks to my sweet mama for taking our delivery pictures!

1 comment: