The Lillenbergs

The Lillenbergs

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day

Mother's Day. It didn't start off too hot, to be honest. The night before I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. Then scarlett, who normally sleeps til 10, decided to wake up at 5. For no good reason of course. I tried everything, but every time I closed the door she would be hysterical again. Very frustrating- and add to that she slapped me in the face four times and we had to deal with time-out. Plus Chris is out of town. Didn't think it'd be that big of a deal, but as I battled my toddler, I could hear my dad downstairs making his traditional omelet breakfast in bed for my mom and just wishing that I had my other half by my side. I was feeling pretty low and prayed to my Heavenly Father to help me remember all the joyful things about being a mother. But it was hard, I'm not going to lie. Because motherhood is one of the hardest things I've ever done. The time, energy, lack of sleep, testing of patience, worrying about where they are and if they're safe every second of the day, and the constant praying that you're doing SOMETHING right- it can all be overwhelming. And today was definitely one of those days. I knew I needed to go to church to get some sort of spiritual upliftment, but honestly, the only things that got me out the door this morning were that they were giving out chocolate for Mother's Day, and that I could drop scarlett off in nursery and have two hours of peace. And that's ok I think, because it DID get me out the door, and I WAS spiritually uplifted. We had an awesome lady speak on motherhood who has 12 children. You'd think someone with 12 kids would have it all figured out but every story she told I was screaming in my head, yes! That's just like us! Hallelujah, it's not just me who struggles! 
Anyway, after church, a much needed nap, and a nice long chat with my sweet sweet husband who patiently listens to all of my complaints and tears, I was feeling much better. 
And now as I type this blog post, I'm snuggling and rocking my sweet baby girl as she sleeps. And there is nothing more special. And I realize that my days of snuggling just me and her are rapidly drawing to a close. She's growing up too fast, and we'll have another baby to watch over and give us sleepless nights very soon. I'm so grateful to be a mother. Yes, it's the hardest thing I've ever done, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment